Most people have heard of an eternity ring, but you might not know that this ring dates back nearly 4000 years. There is record of the ancient Egyptians giving eternity rings to their wives to show their love for them.
Eternity rings hold a lot of meaning for both the giver and the receiver. These rings symbolize love and commitment and when given can come with as much meaning as when an engagement ring is given. Eternity rings are often also given when a couple has their first child because it has been linked to the circle of life.
Facts about the eternity ring
- You can give an eternity ring to anyone at any time, but they are most often given at anniversaries, in fact they are most commonly given on first anniversaries.
- There are many different types of eternity rings. You can get them as either a half or full-eternity option. The full eternity option has gems studded all the way around the band while the half-eternity ring has gems only halfway around the top of the band.
- Your eternity ring can have any gemstone in, but the most popular choice is, obviously, the classic diamond.
- Eternity rings are often given as an “upgrade” to a wedding ring, especially if the wedding ring was bought on a small budget.
- The claw setting is chosen by many as their setting of choice for their rings, but the bezel, bar or channel are great options.
- Due to the fact that these rings have so much meaning they are often handed down as family heirlooms from generation to generation.
- Princess cut diamond are one of the more popular choices when it comes to eternity rings while emerald cut rings are also great choices. But you can really choose any cut of stone that works for you.
- Channel settings will ensure that your diamonds are kept firmly in place on your eternity ring. Claw settings or pave settings are also popular choices and create beautiful rings.
- If you opt for a gemstone in your eternity ring, find a ring that has meaning for your partner or your relationship. You could use their birthstone or find the stone that symbolizes your anniversary.
- There are no rules where you must wear your eternity ring, but many people opt to wear it on their ring finger, next to their wedding band. The ancient Egyptians wore the rings on the third finger of their left hand because they believed a blood vessel ran from this finger to the heart.
Celebrities and eternity rings
- When Mel Ferrer proposed to Audrey Hepburn in 1954, he gave her a stunning, platinum eternity band. It was set with baguette-cut diamonds.
- Marilyn Monroe wore an eternity ring as both her engagement and wedding ring when she married Joe DiMaggio. Just because it was an eternity ring, did not mean it was cheap. The eternity ring was around $772,500.
- Both times that Elizabeth Taylor married Richard Burton; he gave her a beautiful eternity ring. The rings were sold in 2011 for $1,022,500.
- Calvin Klein bought his wife, Kelly Rector an eternity ring. It had the word “Eternity” engraved on it and is said to have inspired the fragrance Eternity by Calvin Klein.
Choosing an eternity ring
If you are buying an eternity ring for that special person in your life, there are a few things that you must consider before making the investment in the ring.
- Consider her style. When you are buying jewellery for someone else, it is essential to find a ring that will suit her style. Pay attention to whether she favors gold or silver, bigger pieces of jewellery or smaller, more delicate pieces.
- Do you want a full or half eternity ring? This might come down to your budget but will also depend on her style and what she would be more comfortable wearing. While the full ring is beautiful, it can be uncomfortable and not a practical option. If your partner does lead a more active lifestyle you might want to consider a half ring instead.
- Silver or gold. There are no rules when it comes to the metal you must choose; it is best to choose a metal that she currently wears.
- What color stone? Diamonds are the classic choice, but you can pick her birthstone or the birthstone of your child. You can also opt for the stone that symbolizes your anniversary year.
- Find out her ring size. This is very important. Eternity rings are generally investments and you want to make sure that you buy a ring that will actually fit her. If you want to give the ring as a surprise, find a ring that she wears regularly that fits her well so you can figure out her ring size.